Arduino Oscilloscope

Based on the Oscilloscope in a Matchbox by Peter Balch
Last Update: 2019-01-03

I found this project in a reddit post a while ago and I loved the idea. I wanted an oscilloscope for quite a while but what I actually needed was mostly something to check if there’s a signal at all. This little project seemed perfect for the task and since I just started working with KiCad I decided to turn it into a board.

After recreating the schematics in KiCad I got the idea to make an Arduino UNO shield since I had a few Arduinos in my drawer anyway. I ordered the parts I still needed and started designing the board. It actually took a few iterations to decide on a final design but here is the result:

I made a few changes from the original project:

  • The Arduino UNO has less analog inputs than the NANO so the voltmeter was removed
  • I had no use for a signal generator (yet) so that got omitted as well
  • Two more buttons were added, one to enter and exit the menu and one to reset the Arduino as the original reset button is covered by the shield.
    The menu button is connected to pin 2 on the Arduino which was used for the signal generator by Peter
  • R9 in the original schematics was replaced with a trimpot to be able to fine tune the AC display without resoldering
  • A BNC connector was added to the signal input so a probe can be connected easily
  • All in- and outputs were combined into a single 2×5 header with 4 ground connectors because you can never have too many of those
  • The code was changed a little bit to add the functionality for the menu button and the timeout for the menu was removed. Everything else is still Peters original code.

All files can be downloaded here. Feel free to use them for your own projects. I publish these under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

Version 2.0

Version 1.0 was was still too big. When Peter made the original design it was based on an Arduino Nano which of course is a lot smaller than the Uno. I chose to make an Uno shield at first because I had spare Unos – But then I thought I should try to make it smaller. Maybe even smaller than Peters original version?
I wanted to keep the extra button and also the BNC connector but I replaced the latter with a horizontal one as the vertical one is kinda annoying because the cable is always in the way.

After playing with a few different designs I decided for a vertical version. A friend offered to design a 3D-printable case for it so that will hopefully be available as well at some point!

Everything else is basically still the same. I just moved stuff around, most of it under the display – in the first version that was mostly dead space. Also fitting everything around the contacts of the Nano was a nice little challenge but I think I got quite good with this kind of puzzle by now and the board turned out very neat and tidy in my opinion.

All files for version 2.0 can be downloaded here. Feel free to use them for your own projects. I publish these under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.